Monday, May 15, 2006

Essay 592


A Mini-Monday MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• A USA Today/Gallup Poll showed 51 percent of Americans disapprove of the National Security Agency’s collection of phone records (see Essay 584). Additionally, about two-thirds of the nation’s citizens are worried it will lead to more personal information gathering. And nearly 90 percent probably hope that the NSA can use its sophisticated spy techniques to help people decipher their phone bills.

• Hillary Clinton backed off from her comments regarding the laziness of today’s youth (see Essay 586). “My daughter heard that I’d said that, and she called and she said, ‘Mom, I do work hard and my friends work hard,’” Clinton explained. “And I said, ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to convey the impression that you don’t work hard. … I just want to set the bar high, because we are in a competition for the future.” Bill Clinton also argued with Hillary, pointing out the phenomenal efforts of his interns.

No comments: