Friday, May 26, 2006

Essay 629


Suits and shoots in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Ford Motor Company is being sued by 22 former and current employees who charge the automaker discriminates against Blacks. Lawsuits were filed between April 2004 and January 2006. One incident occurred in November 2004 when a worker emailed his supervisor to inquire about a raise. The response email read, “Now you listen to me nigger you will never receive a pay increase at Ford as long as I’m manager.” While Ford acknowledges the email was sent, no proof existed that it was actually sent by the supervisor. Others claim they were denied promotions. “I’ve been with the company for 29 years,” said another employee. “I have a bachelor’s and master’s degrees and I never made entry-level management. … I’ve done everything that I needed to do and still I cannot break that glass ceiling to entry-level management. It is sexism, it’s racism, it’s all of the ‘isms.’” Ford’s new advertising slogan is, “Bold Moves.” But it looks like the automaker is executing some old moves.

• Kanye West provided an impromptu performance during the current trial accusing West and Ludacris of ripping off other rappers’ rhymes (see Essay 623). The judge asked West to recite lines from the 2001 hit “Stand Up,” and the artist proceeded to deliver the obscenity-filled lyrics. The jurors burst into laughter. IOF, the opposing rap group, probably failed to laugh — but more than likely started to spout profanities.

• Rapper Beanie Sigel was wounded by gunfire during an attempted holdup. After treatment at a Philadelphia hospital, Sigel called out from his ride, “I got shot. I’m cool.” Just another day at the office.

No comments: