Friday, January 19, 2007

Essay 1590


Asking for help in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Grey’s Anatomy star Isaiah Washington is catching major heat for allegedly referring to co-star T.R. Knight with an anti-gay slur. ABC even slapped the guy for a subsequent comment made at the Golden Globes and stated, “His actions are unacceptable and are being addressed.” Washington ultimately released the following statement: “I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. … I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I’ve asked for help.” He’s probably seeking counsel from Mel Gibson and Michael Richards.

• Usher was fined $425 and slapped with 20 hours of community service after being found guilty of speeding 103 mph in Georgia last July. He has not yet issued a formal apology or asked for help from any minority group.

• The NAACP in Virginia called for the censure of Delegate Frank D. Hargrove, who recently said Blacks should “get over” slavery (see Essay 1574). “I think we ought to just kick up some hell,” said the Rev. J. Rayfield Vines Jr. That’s the spirit, Reverend.

• Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick is in trouble for trying to pull a quarterback sneak at Miami International Airport. Vick allegedly had a water bottle with a secret compartment containing what appeared to be marijuana. Wonder what the Falcons are packing in their Gatorade jugs.

No comments: