Wednesday, August 20, 2008

5843: Corporal And Cultural Punishment.


Delivering a spanking in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

A new study showed minority kids receive more paddlings and spankings in school. Black and Native American children get the most whuppings. Other findings included: In states where paddlings happen most, Black girls were paddled over twice as often as White girls; Boys are three times more likely to be beaten versus girls and; Special education kids were more likely to be paddled. Which means, ironically, that Spanky got fewer spankings than Buckwheat.

• Add Argentina’s Olympic Women’s soccer team to the squads making slit-eyed gestures. Perhaps it’s the start of a new Olympic event. Or maybe some idiots just need a good whupping.

3 comments:

HustleKnocker said...

Argentina?

Yeah, 'cuz when i touch down in a country that's 1.3 billion deep that's been known to make its own citizens disappear for publicly criticizing the government/aspects of society, the one thing that goes through my head is "let's make fun of the locals!"

besides Asians, Argentina is enforcing another stereotype—that of the dumb jock.

adamson said...

I agree with the first comment. I mean, those bitches are really stupid.

The reason I'm so fucked up, I think, is because my mother used to beat/spank me so much. :(

Anonymous said...

So much that I want to say on the first statement, HJ. I try not to bog down the comments section with a diatribe, but I will say this: having taught in a public school in Baltimore between my stints in advertising, I've observed that once kids reach a certain age, corporal punishment is useless. I think it has its place for younger kids who don't have the maturity to be reasoned with.

As far as the racial disparity, well, that's just numbers. Minorities are statistically more likely to be born into dysfunctional homes, increasing the chances of their lacking certain social values, a basic understanding of right and wrong, empathy, and consequences.

Not sure if the study's implication is that the frequency of paddling is racially motivated--that's a strawman argument because most schools, particularly in the South, have de facto segregation in place. Hard to pick someone to racially discriminate against when everyone's the same color in a classroom.